ICTSI Manila Yard Utilization Falls Again

June 27, 2019

The global port management company International Container Terminal Services Inc.(ICTSI) said yard utilization at its Manila port dropped 58 percent in June despite a series of holiday periods and low trucking activity.

The Manila International Container Terminal (MICT), ICTSI flagship, recorded the drop in utilization rates despite recording its all-time highest throughput over a four-month period.

Philippines-headquartered port and terminal operator said that this follows the 70 percent utilization rate recorded in April, down 20 percent from 90 percent in January after private sector partners and  the government signed a manifesto last March calling for the efficient utilization of container terminals.  

The MICT achieved this drop in utilization rates despite recording its all-time highest throughput over a four-month period.
 
“The significant efforts in which both the private sector and the Bureau of Customs to release longer-staying imports at the terminal has resulted in lower overall container dwell times allowing us to efficiently utilize the ample capacity to accelerate volume growth,” explains Christian Gonzalez, ICTSI Global Corporate Head.
 
“We commend the Government for leading the initiative against overstaying containers, and call on stakeholders to embrace these gains by not reverting to the old ways which has been common in previous years when utilization rates drop,” he adds.
 
The Port of Manila dealt with high utilization rates at the end of last year due to the long-standing problem of overstaying imports coupled with a lack of external empty container capacity, which was further compounded by weather-related vessel delays, holiday peak season, and the import-export imbalance.  
 
In March, Subic Bay International Container Terminal (SBITC) opened a new container depot as part of the collective effort to improve the circulation of empty containers.

Last year, ICTSI commenced its USD80 million capacity improvement project at the Manila International Container in anticipation of increasing demand and productivity requirements over the long term.  For the initial phase, ICTSI is building Berths 7 and 8 to accommodate larger ships, which will bring additional volume to the port.  

A back up area will also be constructed for future Berths 9 and 10, which will provide the terminal with the flexibility to deal with weather-related issues and changes in regulatory environment.

Logistics News

Rio Tinto Ships Eight Billionth Tonne of Iron Ore from the Pilbara

Rio Tinto Ships Eight Billionth Tonne of Iron Ore from the Pilbara

Third VLCC Exits Strait of Hormuz

Third VLCC Exits Strait of Hormuz

AAPA Supports House Appropriations Bill with $538m for Port Infrastructure

AAPA Supports House Appropriations Bill with $538m for Port Infrastructure

US Grain, Soy Futures Drop After US-China Talks

US Grain, Soy Futures Drop After US-China Talks

Subscribe for Maritime Logistics Professional E‑News

Special Report-Iran consolidates control of Hormuz through island checkpoints and diplomatic deals, as well as sometimes 'fees.'
US doctor contacts Ebola patient in Uganda heading to Czech hospital
FAA: SpaceX wants to launch 10,000 launches per year within five years