Consortium to Build Egypt's First Dry Port

January 29, 2020

© newroadboy / Adobe Stock
© newroadboy / Adobe Stock

A consortium of three companies has been awarded a contract for a $176 million project to build Egypt's first dry port, the first of eight ports the government plans to set up, the transportation minister said on Wednesday.

The companies are Egypt's El Sewedy Electric and 3a International and Germany's DB Schenker Egypt, Kamel al-Wazir told reporters after a cabinet meeting.

Construction work for the 100 feddans (420,000 square meters) port west of Cairo will start on Saturday and last two years, he added.

The port will be able to handle 720,000 containers annually and support 3,500 direct and indirect jobs, the minister said.

Egypt said last year the project would be a public-private partnership between the General Authority For Ports and Dry Land and the winning consortium. 

(Reporting by Moamen Said Atallah; Writing by Mahmoud Mourad; Editing by Ulf Laessing and Mark Potter)

Logistics News

Xeneta: Weekly Ocean Container Shipping Market Update

Xeneta: Weekly Ocean Container Shipping Market Update

Argentinian Grain Ports Operate Normally Post Strike

Argentinian Grain Ports Operate Normally Post Strike

Konecranes Introduces Gottwald ESP.4 Mobile Harbor Crane

Konecranes Introduces Gottwald ESP.4 Mobile Harbor Crane

Argentine Labor Strike Hits Ports

Argentine Labor Strike Hits Ports

Subscribe for Maritime Logistics Professional E‑News

A top US airline lobbyist warns that capping credit card rates at 10% will harm the industry
Targa Resources beats quarterly core profit estimates on boost in gas volumes
Maguire: Winners and losers of the US rollback on climate policies