Alumni Form Committee on USMMA Accreditation Status
The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Alumni Association and Foundation (AAF) has formed an advisory committee composed of Kings Point graduates and education experts to assist the U.S. Maritime Administration (MARAD) and the Academy in protecting and preserving the school’s imperiled accreditation.
- Developing a comprehensive overview of MSCHE’s expectations and requirements for re-accreditation;
- Outlining accreditation best practices executed by other Federal Service Academies, in particular the MSCHE-accredited U.S. Naval Academy; and
- Drawing on case studies of schools that have previously been placed on warning to identify the concrete steps that will ensure re-accreditation.
- Bob Comegys, vice president and corporate ocean cargo underwriting line manager, Starr Indemnity and Liability Company. Mr. Comegys is chairman of the Education Committee of the American Institute of Marine Underwriters. He is a 1977 USMMA graduate.
- Connie Dato English, director, global talent acquisition, CFA Institute. Ms. English is a member of Senator Mark Warner’s Service Academy Review Board. She graduated from USMMA in 1986 and earned an MBA from the University of Virginia Darden School of Business.
- Victoria Millar Ferguson, senior engineering instructor, Exelon Nuclear Generating Station. Ms. Ferguson graduated from USMMA in 2005 and from 2013-2016 served as assistant professor, assistant women’s lacrosse coach and Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Program victim advocate at the Academy.
- James Fitzpatrick, marine transportation professor and department chair, Massachusetts Maritime Academy. Capt. Fitzpatrick graduated from USMMA in 1977 and earned a Doctor of Education from Columbia University.
- David Steinberg, former president, Long Island University. Dr. Steinberg also served as vice president and university secretary at Brandeis University and on the board of trustees for the Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities. He earned his B.A., M.A. and Ph.D. from Harvard University.