Lloyd’s Maritime Academy Adds New Tech Courses
Lloyd’s Maritime Academy launched a new portfolio of courses focusing on Technology and Innovation.
“Digitalization is becoming part of everyday life within shipping where techniques from other industries such as big data and cyber security are being adopted," said Paul Napper, Course Developer at Lloyd’s Maritime Academy. "It’s important that people working within maritime have a strong understanding of these techniques and the positive impact they can have. Maritime assets such as ships are expensive therefore, we need to ensure we protect them in this digital age through effective cyber security. Furthermore, utilizing big data opens a wealth of opportunities to better monitor a ship’s performance, as well as help to reduce emissions – an important factor given the IMO’s forthcoming Sulfur Cap 2020 regulations.”
Delivered entirely via distance learning, the courses form part of Lloyd’s Maritime Academy’s ‘Discover’ phase of its unique 3D Learning Model designed to help those looking to pursue a career in maritime. The portfolio includes:
• Certificate in ship technology – 14 weeks, this course provides a detailed understanding of ship technology and the role it plays in shipping.
• Certificate in AI in shipping – with AI becoming increasingly important within maritime, this 12-week course highlights current issues and how AI solutions can help overcome them.
• Certificate in Maritime Cybersecurity – this 12-week course helps students understand the importance of cybersecurity for shore-based activities, address existing threats and mitigate future cyber-attacks.
• Certificate in Big Data in Shipping – providing a detailed foundation to Big Data, this 12-week course looks at data collation and storage, as well as the management and future applications.
• Certificate in Blockchain in Shipping – emerging as the game-changer for the shipping industry, students will, through a 12-week course, learn more about what blockchain is and how it can be utilized to help improve shipping operations.