Containers Salvaged From Rena Wreck Number 1000

September 21, 2012

Photo credit Maritime New Zealand
Photo credit Maritime New Zealand

The Braemar Howells/Unimar latest update informs recovery milestone passed, there now remain 365 containers to recover.

A total of 1368 containers were onboard the Renawhen grounded on the Astrolabe Reef nearly on 5 October 2011.

Braemar Operations Manager Mike Richards says the milestone was reached this week after the positive identification of more container parts hauled up from the seabed at the wreck site. "We take our hats off to all those involved in the ongoing joint recovery effort – from the salvors, Braemar and Unimar staff, to Maritime New Zealand, support services companies, and many others.”

Mr Richards says the work of identifying containers from numbers on scrap recovered has been a huge behind-the-scenes task in its own right, carried out by specialists in distressed cargo.

Meanwhile the wreck salvage operation by Resolve Salvage and Fire reports good progress continues to be made reducing the bow section – with in excess of 140 tonnes of steel removed over the last week, bringing the total up to 575 tonnes.
 

Logistics News

Russian Ice-class LNG Carrier heads out via Northern Sea Route

Russian Ice-class LNG Carrier heads out via Northern Sea Route

NIMO, Belfast Harbour Join Port Innovators Network

NIMO, Belfast Harbour Join Port Innovators Network

MacGregor Inks Hatch Cover Deal

MacGregor Inks Hatch Cover Deal

Hormuz Crossings Rise Slightly from Weekend

Hormuz Crossings Rise Slightly from Weekend

Subscribe for Maritime Logistics Professional E‑News

The resumption of Colombian coffee production could take several weeks. Processing is also affected.
India reduces windfall tax on petrol, diesel and aviation fuel exports
Oil spillage off Oman is threatening to cause a disaster as two slicks are seen in the Gulf