Hapag-Lloyd: U.S. Probe Ends with no Obligations

February 26, 2019

file Image / CREDIT Hapag-Lloyd
file Image / CREDIT Hapag-Lloyd

Germany's Hapag-Lloyd is cleared of a U.S. Department of Justice probe into the practices of container shipping companies, with no charges brought, a spokesman said on Tuesday.

"Hapag-Lloyd was informed that the U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division is closing its investigation without charges against the company, its affiliates or any other current or former employees," he said.

This followed similar statements by bigger rivals Maersk and Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) earlier in the day.

The investigation could have resulted in large fines at a time when the container sector is struggling with slowing global economic growth. 

Reporting by Vera Eckert

Logistics News

Xeneta: Weekly Ocean Container Shipping Market Update

Xeneta: Weekly Ocean Container Shipping Market Update

Argentinian Grain Ports Operate Normally Post Strike

Argentinian Grain Ports Operate Normally Post Strike

Konecranes Introduces Gottwald ESP.4 Mobile Harbor Crane

Konecranes Introduces Gottwald ESP.4 Mobile Harbor Crane

Argentine Labor Strike Hits Ports

Argentine Labor Strike Hits Ports

Subscribe for Maritime Logistics Professional E‑News

Documents show that Epstein attempted to create a web of powerful connections across the Middle East.
India's Maharashtra power farms are off the main grid in order to overcome transmission obstacles, an executive says
Targa Resources beats quarterly core profit estimates on boost in gas volumes