Setting a new national record Mundra Port`s west basin handles record coal cargo of 151,299 MT per day
Despite several impediments in its path Adani Ports & SEZ Ltd, India’s largest port developer and part of Adani Group, a global integrated player, continues to exhibit stellar performance in cargo throughput setting up newer records. Last week it reported another stunning performance having handled 151,229 metric tons of steam coal in 24 hours from MV Cape Fushen, Large Cape Vessel, carrying steam coal of Indonesian Steam Coal of M/s. Adani Power Limited (APL), thus setting a new national record in coal cargo handling in India.
The Mundra Port’s West Basin terminal, Asia’s largest coal import facility, surpassed the last recorded best coal discharge performance nationally of 122,247 MT and further surpassed its own record of 115,119 MT in January 2012. The current handling capacity of west port is 60 MMT of coal per annum.
Mundra Port has been making steady and fast progress in port expansion. In the previous fiscal, 2012-13, it achieved cargo throughput of 82.13 million MT as against 64 million MT in the previous year, thus clocking a growth of 28% year-on-year. This remarkable growth in cargo handling places it in the second position amongst all the ports in India and next only to the major port at Kandla which registered a growth of 14% over the previous year having registered a throughput of 93 MT.
Kandla port’s performance however, is not being considered as remarkable as Mundra port’s since Kandla Port has a bigger traffic volume of liquid cargo, including crude oil, to the extent of 54 MT that is approx 58% of total cargo. Bulk and general cargo together with containerized cargo total 39 MT which make up the remaining 42% of the total traffic volume. Thus, Kandla Port's primacy is highly dependent on crude oil cargo in which the role of the port is limited to berthing and un-berthing of the VLCCs (very large crude carriers) and UNCCs (ultra large crude carriers) unlike the handling of other cargo where the ports have to actually perform cargo handling at berth with the help of shore cranes to storage, to finally evacuation.
Mundra Port is today India’s number one multi-cargo port and has an annual handling capacity of 180 million tons. Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone also operates ports in Hazira and Dahej, in Gujarat and is setting up coal handling facilities in Mormugao in Goa, Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh and Kandla Port in Gujarat. The company plans to handle 200 million tons of cargo by 2020. Adani group is also the largest private thermal power producer in India with power generation capacity of 7,300 MW which is expected to increase to 9,280 MW by the end of FY14.
Mundra port’s expansion plans were on hold as the Union Home Ministry denied it the mandatory security clearance for about a year now on various projects for which it had bid. It is only recently that the ministry has finally given the necessary clearance thus enabling it to bid for the proposed fourth terminal at the Jawaharlal Nehru Port and which will have a capacity of 2.4 million TEUs or standard truck units and a berth of 2 km, making it among the biggest in the country.
Another major obstacle for the port has now come from the Committee of India’s Environment Ministry which has proposed a penalty of $ 30.8 million. This environmental ministry committee has found that the clearances for Mundra Port were not taken as per the guidelines, and various state and national agencies were approached in a circuitous manner.